“You may delay, but time will not.” – Benjamin Franklin
Over the past few weeks, I’ve had to fight off procrastinating a lot with my marketing portfolio project. It got me thinking why do we procrastinate? I think we do it because we fear failure. Why try in the first place if we think we are just going to fail? We must combat this, full steam ahead.
I’ve had to deal with procrastination creeping in a lot this week. I usually can kick it to the curb quite easily. Thankfully, this week all in all was no exception but boy oh boy did it put up a good fight.
Here are some things I do when procrastination wants to creep in:
- Get organized – Invest in a planner, do brain dumps, to-do lists and everything in between.
- Create an achievable timeline with goals – Small daily goals are the pathway to achieving one large task.
- Give yourself a deadline – So often we tell ourselves “Oh I’ll get it done tomorrow.” Well if you tell yourself that every day you will never get it done. A deadline depletes the power of the goal.
- Take scheduled breaks – A break can be one of the most rejuvenating things out there. If you schedule them into your life it is so much easier to keep the reigns on them.
- Tell someone about your goals – If you are the only person that is aware of your goals there is no one pushing you to actually go out and achieve them.
Procrastination is something that is close to impossible to kick out of life entirely. No matter how driven of an individual you are it is the little whisper in the back of your head. I find myself doing everything in my power to weaken its strength. A power play for sure on my part, but it gets the job done.
So, now its your turn. Go do what you have thought about planning to do.
One thought on “The Key To Fighting Off Procrastination”