“Sometimes you aren’t listening to your body because you’re listening to everybody else’s expectations.” – Ann Voskamp
When you are a people pleaser it can be very easy to take everything on as your own problem. Even if you have no power or control over the situation you can feel as if you need to help. This is often unnecessary and also not helpful.
Here’s a reminder that it’s not your job to:
- Be responsible for other people’s happiness
- Be preoccupied with unhealthy beauty standards to be approved and validated
- Try to fix other people’s issues and solve every problem
- Make yourself smaller to try and please those around you
- Be physically and emotionally available 24/7
- Ignore your own boundaries to please others
Boundaries are a crucial part of life and when you’re constantly going above and beyond for others and getting nothing in return you need to take a step back. Self-care is for everyone and it shouldn’t be reserved just for the rich or those in a really bad spot. Don’t deny yourself the love, care, and time that you need. Particularly when you’re in the process of healing.
You can’t pour from an empty cup so don’t give all your energy to others and keep none of it for yourself. Don’t force yourself to say yes to everything when you desperately need to say no. It’s okay to be selfish and create the life that you want to live, but sometimes that means you have to stop living the life everyone else wants you to live.